If you prefer to learn on your own, Family Tree University independent study courses are perfect for you.
These courses are self-guided, "offline" versions of our online courses. You receive the same curriculum and supplemental materials, but you do the work completely on your own, making them an ideal choice for students who truly want to work at their own pace.
In contrast to our online courses, where class is "in session" for a specified four-week period, there's no set time line for an independent study class, you could approach it as an intensive crash course, pick it up on weekends over several months, or whatever works best for you.
A digital download gives you instant access to the materials to your computer. After downloading a ZIP file of the materials, unzip it, and you'll be able to access all the course materials, which are in Word and PDF format.
Mastering Google Search: Secrets to Smarter, Faster Online Research
Developed by Lisa Louise Cooke
Tired of off-target search results? To get better, more relevant results on Google, you have to know how to speak the search engine's "language." This course will teach you just that, through tips and step-by-step search examples. First, you'll master core Google search techniques, then move on to additional techniques designed to help with your specific genealogy challenges and research goals.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN
- The basic guidelines for successful searchingÑincluding Google's limitations
- Techniques to refine your searches and ferret out irrelevant results
- Tips to tailor your searches to find genealogy information and ancestral data
- How to automate your Google searches so the search engine finds new websites and information for you
- Strategies to find images and other materials relevant to your family history
WHO SHOULD TAKE THIS COURSE
- genealogy hobbyists looking to save time in their Google searching
- people who are new to genealogy or online genealogy research
WHAT YOU'LL NEED: REQUIREMENTS & SUPPLIES
- A free Google account
- This course builds on Google Tools for Genealogists. If you're new to Google, consider taking that course first.
- This course assumes you understand the basics principles of genealogy and have done some investigation into your family history. If you are a total beginner, consider taking the Discover Your Family Tree course before enrolling in this class.