More than 30 million Americans claim Irish ancestry — that's more than seven times the 4.2 million living in the Republic of Ireland today. If you're among them, Irish Research 101 will help you trace your roots back to the Emerald Isle.
In this course, you'll use US records to determine who your Irish immigrant ancestors were and learn from where in Ireland they came. Determining your ancestral hometown will set you up nicely for Irish Research 201,which covers overseas records.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN
- What US records can help you find your Irish roots
- Irish immigrants' routes to and within the United States
- Strategies for tracking down Irish ancestors with common names
- What Irish-American resources are available to researchers
WHO SHOULD TAKE THIS COURSE
- Anyone with Irish ancestry
- Librarians wishing to assist patrons researching Irish roots
- Teachers looking to incorporate Irish-American history into their curricula
WHAT YOU'LL NEED: REQUIREMENTS & SUPPLIES
- This course assumes you understand the basics principles of genealogy and have done some investigation into your family history.