If you prefer to learn on your own, Family Tree University independent study courses are perfect for you.
These courses are self-guided, "offline" versions of our online courses. You receive the same curriculum and supplemental materials, but you do the work completely on your own, making them an ideal choice for students who truly want to work at their own pace.
In contrast to our online courses, where class is "in session" for a specified four-week period, there's no set time line for an independent study class, you could approach it as an intensive crash course, pick it up on weekends over several months, or whatever works best for you.
Choose a course on CD if you prefer to have course materials gathered in a physical package. Files are still digital -- in Word and PDF format for you to open on your computer.
Advanced Google for Genealogists: Techniques to Take Your Research to the Next Level
Developed by Lisa Louise Cooke
Attention, Google users: Want to get more out of the most popular search engine? In this course, you'll learn how to tame Google's seemingly endless search results to find the answers you needÑincluding solutions to common genealogy search dilemmas, such as looking for names that double as familiar words (Ward, Shore) and bypassing results for famous people with your ancestral surname. You'll also take advantage of Google features and services that will help you research more efficiently.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN
- Techniques to deal with challenging surname searches and other genealogy search dilemmas
- How to use Gmail to become a more efficient researcher
- The ins and outs of the new search results bar
- How to use Google's translation tools for overseas research
WHO SHOULD TAKE THIS COURSE
- Genealogists who want to streamline their Google searching
- People who are familiar with Google but want to deepen their knowledge and hone their skills
WHAT YOU'LL NEED: REQUIREMENTS & SUPPLIES
- A free Google account
- This course assumes you understand the basics principles of genealogy and have done some work with Google. If you are a beginner, consider taking Mastering Google Search first